Firmer breasts exercises: 3 Simple Workout to achieve this Firmer breasts exercises…Numerous Nigerian ladies pine for greater and firmer bosoms, that is the reason they…
Kofi Annan’s Popularity Check: See 10 Reasons Why He Had Been So Popular Till Now
Kofi Annan’s Popularity Check…The Popularity of The Late Ghanaian Diplomat Kofi Annan is Arguably And Undoubtedly a Fact That Cannot Be Override. He’s Been Reckoned Upon as One of The Greatest United Nations Secretary-Generals To Have Ever Lived. As We Go In-Dept, We Will Find Out The 10 Reasons For This Kofi Annan’s Popularity Check.
Kofi Annan, also known in full-term officially as Kofi Atta Annan, was born in the Suburb of Kofandros in Kumasi, Ghana on April 8, 1938 (then Gold Coast). He had a twin sister by the name Efua Atta who died in 1991. Both of them were born into one of Ghana’s aristocratic families of Ashanti and Fante, in which their grandfathers and uncles were tribal chiefs.
Between 1954 and 1957, Kofi Annan went to the Elite Mfantsipim school, the Boarding School which was owned by the Methodist Church, established in the Cape Coast around the 1870s. Later in 1958, Kofi studied Economics at Kumasi College of Science and Technology (now known as Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology of Ghana). He received a grant award from the Ford Foundation which facilitated the completion of his undergraduate course (Economics) at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota, United States, in 1961.
He also furthered his education and completed a diplôme d’études approfondies Master of Advanced Studies degree in International Relations in The Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, Switzerland, between 1961 and 1962. He also studied at the MIT Sloan School of Management after working for some years from 1971 to 1972, where he earned a Master’s Degree. To add to his portfolio, Kofi Annan was also good in English, French, Akan, and some of the Kru languages and other African languages.
Kofi Annan began working as a budget officer for the World Health Organization, a United Nations (UN) Agency in 1962. He also worked as a manager of Ghana Tourist Development Company in Accra between 1974 and 1976. He became UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) Head of Personnel in Geneva, Switzerland, 1980. In 1983, Annan was appointed the Director of Administrative Management Services of the UN Secretariat in New York. However, below is a summary of his further appointments;
- Assistant Secretary-General for Human Resources Management and Security Coordinator for the UN system (1987)
- Assistant Secretary-General for Program Planning, Budget and Finance, and Control (1990)
- Deputy to then Under-Secretary-General Marrack Goulding of Department of Peacekeeping Operations (1992)
- Under-Secretary-General of Department of Peacekeeping Operations (1993)
- Special Representative of the Secretary-General to the former Yugoslavia (1995-1996)
Kofi’s big break came as a result of his appointment as Secretary-General of the United Nations after UN Security Council gave him a thumbs up on 13 December 1996. And the confirmation of the General Assembly which triggered his official unveiling as UN Secretary-General, January 1st, 1997. Also, his subsequent reappointment occurred on June 29, 2001.
Having known a brief summary of Kofi Annan, then what do you think would be Kofi Annan’s Popularity Check? With this notion in mind, we will be looking at the factors that triggered Kofi Annan’s Popularity Check, even at his death. Some factors that were responsible are enumerated and explained below:
- Kofi Annan’s Operation Deliberate Force Idea: Annan gave orders to UN officers to relinquish for a restricted amount of the time their authority to veto air strikes in Bosnia. This move allowed the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) forces to conduct Operation Deliberate Force and this earned him U.S. favorite. And this also triggered America’s confidence in Kofi to be a perfect replacement for Boutros-Ghali the then Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- His Reformation of The United Nations: Annan unleashed two reports on management reform immediately after his appointment as UN Secretary-General. On the seventeenth day of March 1997, the report Management and Organisational Measures (A/51/829) brought in new management mechanisms through the institution of a cabinet-style body to help him and be grouping the UN’s activities in tandem with four core missions. A comprehensive reform agenda was issued on 14 July 1997 entitled to invigorating the United Nations: A Programme for Reformation (A/51/950). Vital proposals enveloped the introduction of strategic management to strengthen the bond of purpose, the institution of the position of Deputy Secretary-General, a 10-percent reduction in posts, a discount in administrative prices, the consolidation of the United Nations at the country level, and reaching bent on civil society and also the personal sector as partners.
- Kofi’s Establishment of United Nations Information Technology Service: Annan urged the institution of a UN Information Technology Service (UNITeS), a syndicate of sophisticated volunteer corps, together with internet Corps North American country and Net Corps America, that UN Volunteers would co-ordinate. within the Report of the high-level panel of specialists on info and communication technology (22 May 2000) suggesting a United Nations ICT Task Force, the panel welcome the institution of UNITeS, and created suggestions on its configuration and implementation strategy, together with that ICT4D volunteering opportunities, create mobilizing “national human resources” (local ICT experts) among developing countries a priority, for the advancement of each men and women. The initiative was launched at the UN Volunteers and was active from February 2001 to February 2005. Initiative employees and volunteers participated within the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) in Geneva in December 2003.
- Kofi Annan’s Millennium Development Goals: Kofi’s main idea about this development was visible in his quest to better the lives of people at the developing and under developing countries of the “Third World.” This arrangement beckoned on member states to make people’s interest and wellbeing their center of focus. He was looking forward to alleviating the poverty rate of more than 1 billion masses suffering its effect. And this gave a boost to his popularity across the globe.
- Kofi’s Global Compact of The UN: In associate address to the World Economic Forum on thirty one Jan 1999, Annan the Secretary-General of the UN argued that the “goals of the United Nations and people of business will, indeed, be reciprocally supportive” and planned that the non-public sector and therefore the United Nations initiate “an international compact of shared values and principles, which can provide a face to the world market” However, the United Nations Global Compact was officially inaugurated on 20th July 2000 at the UN Headquarters in New York. The Compact established 10 core principles within the areas of human rights, labor, the setting, and anti-corruption, and beneath the Compact, firms arrange to the 10 principles and are brought alongside United Nations agencies, labor teams, and civil society to effectively put them to practice.
- The Global Fund Establishment: Annan projected the institution of a world AIDS and Health Fund, “dedicated to the battle against HIV/AIDS and alternative infectious diseases” to stimulate the magnified international disbursement required to assist developing countries to tackle the HIV/AIDS epidemic. In June of that same year, the General Assembly of the United Nations committed to the creation of such a fund throughout a session on AIDS, and also the permanent secretariat of the world Fund was afterward established in January 2002.
- Responsibility To Protect (R2P): Coming after the failure of Annan and therefore the International Community to intervene within the killings in Rwanda and in Srebrenica, Annan inquired whether or not the international community had associate degree obligation in such things to intervene to shield civilian populations. During a speech delivered to the General Assembly on twentieth of September 1999 to address the future plans for human security and intervention within the next century. Annan argued that individual sovereignty—the protections afforded by the Declaration of Human Rights and therefore making known the Charter of the UN—was being reinforced, whereas the notion of state sovereignty was being redefined and reinstated by globalization and international co-operation. And as such, the United Nations and its member states had to think about temperament or subtle way to act to bring to halt conflict and civilian suffering.
- Kofi Annan’s Diplomatic Activities: In 1998, Annan was deeply concerned in supporting the transition from the military regime to civilian rule in the Federal Republic of Nigeria. the subsequent year, he rendered a hand of help to the efforts of East Timor to secure independence from Indonesia. In 2000, he was accountable for certifying Israel ‘s withdrawal from Lebanon, and in 2006, he led and fostered peace talks in new york between the presidents of Cameroon and Federal Republic of Nigeria that led to a settlement of the dispute between the 2 countries over the Bakassi land.
- Annan’s Nobel Peace Prize: In 2001, in its hundredth anniversary, the Nobel Committee set that the Peace Prize was to be shared amongst the United Nations and Annan. They were awarded the Peace Prize for their work for a more robust or improved organized and more peaceful world, has revived the United Nations and for having given more attention to human rights. The Nobel Committee additionally recognized his commitment to the struggle to containing the unfold of HIV in Africa and his declared opposition to act of terrorism.
- Kofi’s Foundation: Kofi Annan established a Foundation called Kofi Annan Foundation. This Foundation was built as a catalyst for prolonging peace and comprehensive governance by anticipating or looking out for massive threats against security, development, and human rights. With the foundation, Annan then gave detailed and well-analyzed solutions and set in action the political will to envision these solutions enforced. In early 2008, the crystal rectifier the African Union’s Panel of Eminent African Personalities, that mediate a peaceful resolution to post-election brutality in Kenya.
Kofi Annan was and until now regarded as a world figure, though he is no more. With the above-explained 10 reasons for his popularity, that does not necessarily restrict other or more reasons that may be added to consolidate this fact. The Kofi Annan popularity check is the 10 facts pointed out above to actually illustrate what made him relevant especially as a UN Secretary-General and Diplomat.
You Can Also Read These Articles:
- Pearl Harbor Incidence-A Historical Even of 77 Years
- Embassies in Nigeria and Where You Can Locate Them
- African Diaspora in America-The Concept of New Diaspora
- Top Business Schools in The World-Best Business Schools in 2018
If this article was informative, please share!