The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: General Service Officer (Internal Only)
Ref No: 21/18 ABJ
Grade: A2 (L)
Type of Position: Permanent
Start Date: 15th December, 2018.
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Protocol, Visits and Events
Main Purpose of Job
- To provide administrative and logistical support to the General Service and Protocol Unit of the British High Commission Abuja tasked with delivering an effective protocol service to the Mission and its officers in Nigeria.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Preparation, issuance and submission of Diplomatic Notes to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Arranging local third party insurance cover for official and private vehicles.
- Diplomatic registration of official and private motor vehicles and obtaining Diplomatic number plates from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Day to day interaction with other Diplomatic Missions arranging third country visas for British Diplomats and Locally engaged Staff travelling on official business.
- Processing of import and export permits for pets.
- Liaise with British Deputy High Commission Lagos colleagues on various protocol related matters and providing feedback.
- Inductions for UK based staff at post (new arrivals)
- Plan, coordinate and execute all aspects of protocol support for the British High Commission
- Act as liaison between the Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nigeria Immigration Service, Nigeria Customs Service, various Embassies/High Commissions and the British High Commission.
- Develop and maintain useful contacts at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nigeria Customs Service and Nigeria Immigration Service for follow up on all requests from the Mission.
- Provide administrative and research support for Management which includes, but not limited to, maintaining records and filing important reference documents
- Forecast, manage and monitor the General Service office budget
- Facilitate clearance of Unaccompanied Airfreight shipments for officers
- Process and obtain Diplomatic residence visas for all UK Based members of staff along with Diplomatic identity cards
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A positive approach to undertaking routine work with a high degree of accuracy as well as a willingness to take on new tasks.
- A very strong command of written and spoken English is essential. resilience
- Good keyboard skills and familiarity with Microsoft windows (notably MS word and MS excel)
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Candidates must have a valid Nigerian Driving Licence as the candidate may be expected to self-drive to the various government ministries.
- Inter-personal skills are also important as the successful candidate will be liaising with a large number of business organisations on a daily basis.
- Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Demonstrating Resilience
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
- Occasional late working may be required.
Starting Monthly Salary
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening. Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
Application Deadline 14th November, 2018.
Important Searches On British High Commission:
- British High Commission Abuja Address,
- British High Commission Nigeria Jobs,
- British High Commission Abuja Visa Section,
- British High Commission Website,
- British High Commission Recruitment 2018,
- British High Commission Job Application Form,
- British High Commission Abuja Visa Section Address,
- British High Commission Recruitment Portal,